According to Everytown For Gun Safety, around 100 children per year die after being accidentally shot.

Their study goes on to say that proper storage would have prevented around 70 percent of those accidental deaths. The other 30 percent can be prevented using tips, like gun safety regulations available from the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

It’s a tragic and all-too-common statistic that changes families and their lives forever. In Pinetown, North Carolina, another family is grieving the loss of six-year-old Victoria Whitehurst.

Victoria was visiting her 11-year-old cousin, who was showing off the shotgun he received for Christmas when it accidentally discharged.

Read More: This Little Boy Found A Gun And Shot Himself…And Sadly, He’s Not Alone

She was tragically killed, and a family dog suffered wounds in the accident. Another girl with them did not sustain injuries.

Victoria’s grandmother, Jeannie Whitehurst, notes that the family has suffered much tragedy, including the loss of Victoria’s father, pictured here.

The boy involved in the incident is reportedly distraught. Authorities believe the death to be entirely accidental, but charges may still be filed. In North Carolina, law states that guns must be stored around unsupervised children.

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up to help the family pay for Victoria’s funeral expenses.

(via DailyMail)

Read More: 17 Vintage Gun Ads That Probably Weren’t The Best Ideas

Our thoughts are with Victoria’s family in this difficult time. SHARE this story in her memory and to remind others to keep firearms secure, especially around children.

Comments

comments